It is the National theme of this year where the official launching of World AIDS Day campaign from 1st December,2013 to 30th March,2014 was held at Amahoro Petit Stade on 1st December 2103.The purpose of the WAD events in 2013 will focus on recognizing the importance of involving Leaders and increasing their leadership in the fight against HIV.
Their input and support is vital to the success of different programs fighting HIV and reducing the effects of HIV in the lives of Rwandans. The campaign will involve all leaders at all levels: Government of Rwanda, Private sector, development partners, civil society and Faith based organizations.
The march procession from Parliament to the Amahoro Petit Stade was the first activity of the day. In this event, Dr Anita Asiimwe, the Minister of State/MoH launched the Rwanda HIV/AIDS National Strategic Plan 2013-2018.
“The youth today have the capacity to create an HIV-free generation.They have all HIV information at their disposal. This fight is not only targeting the leaders, everyone is a leader of their own lives, and every youth has a responsibility to say ‘no’ to unprotected sex,” She said.
Dr Sibongile Dludlu, UNAIDS Country Coordinator, said there is still much to do if we want a future free of Aids. “We will need continued investment, commitment and innovation to reach the vision of zero new HIV infections, zero discrimination and zero Aids-related deaths. On this World Aids Day, let us resolve to consign Aids to the pages of history,” Dr Sibongile said.
Specific objectives of WAD 2013:
- Ensure accessibility to Information about HIV services
- Provide message about availability and utilization of HIV services at health facility and community level: HIV counseling and testing, HIV prevention services (EMTCT, PEP, MC, FP, SRH …), HIV care, support and treatment etc…
- Elimination of stigma and discrimination within communities towards PLHIV
- Life skills enhancement
- Promote Behavior change
- Undertake Action to change harmful cultural practices
- Access to safe means of protection (Condoms for example)